Sunday, August 28, 2011

A hurricane post... I know, weird.

I think I had written out several drafts about what this hurricane was like for us and how we prepared for it, but it was all a rambling mess. So, here is the best I can do!

What Irene caused for the Johnson household:

  • 2 hotel rooms in Durham canceled.
  • 3 last minute plane tickets to Oklahoma for the babies and myself canceled and then refunded(thank goodness).
  • A downstairs covered with mattresses which brought pure joy and entertainment to the kids.
  • A free for all with snacks and junk food all day long.
  • Mild inner freak outs from mommy since the kids were awake.
  • Major outward freakouts since the kids were asleep.
  • A peaceful day without electricity.
  • Semi uncomfortable day without AC... with a few anxiety attacks by Jake because of this.
  • Fun trips outside with daddy in the storm.
  • A long night of frantic news/weather watching while my 3 little and 1 big loves slept.
  • H being pestered by his sisters while he tries to watch his DVD player(our only electronic that played only 2 movies).
  • The girl's fascination of putting checkers into cups... and then accidentally dumping them every time they bent over to get more.
  • A desperation for Diet Coke and coffee.
  • Eating a weeks supply of food in one day. 
  • Realizing I can't mack nachos for dinner by using a lighter.
  • And the biggest, hardest, and most important; Faith. Not only in the Lord, but my husband. This was the first time that Jake had to make a quick, rational decision involving the safety of our entire family. I am not afraid and I am proud to say that he was right. And for that, I am thankful.

And of course, here are a few pictures.

 Jake's idea of stocking up.


 Sarcasm.
 Stores in front of us getting prepared.

 Our neighborhood's shelter(that's water in that tank thing).

 Checking it out.

 Breakfast by candlelight.

Wind gusts.

 Score! Free Frisbee and someone's shingle.
The shelter/playroom/midnight bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment