Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a PIRATES life for a 2 year old!

And so begins my new love for party planning.


Hunter's 2nd birthday party was an absolute blast to plan.
I started planning, researching, ebay-ing, and Etsy-ing a good three months prior to his party.


I knew I wanted a pirate theme!
Inspiration: party blogs; including Owen and Mason's 2nd birthday and hostess blog.


So, here's what we did.
For a few activities we had a treasure hunt, plank walk, and pinata.
In theory, when everyone arrived they would get decked out in their pirate gear and grab their black gable boxes(labeled with their new pirate name) and start their treasure hunt. Their boxes were stocked with a treasure hunt check list and a telescope.

The sand box was full of jewels, necklaces, rings, pirate bouncy balls, and alligators.





Here are the food tables we had set up, minus the main dish table.
(I had pictured this party in my head for so long now and how I would take pictures of everything pre-party guests, but once it got close to party time we were just trying to make sure the presentation for the guests was perfect.)
Plus, Oklahoma weather is not always the most cooperative. Today, it gave us an enormous amount of wind!

The desert table:
A local, and old, high school classmate made the cakes.
She did an amazing job!
We also had cake box cookies and cake balls to snack on.
For the edible decor we used swedish fish "sea bass", white chocolate covered pretzels "pirate bones", and red gum balls "squid eggs."





Just for detail purposes, our main dish foods were:
cheese burger and jerk chicken sliders
black bean mango salsa
with tortilla chips
fruit kabobs
cape code potato chips
and for the kids there were fish shaped pb&j's packaged up and "Pirate's Booty Aged White Cheddar Popcorn"

Drinks:
izze soda
lemonade with raspberries
tea
water bottles
and juice boxes

All the kids seemed to stay entertained and full, which is exactly what I wanted, but they were all a little young for the treasure hunt.
Luckily,the treasure chest pinata was enough for them.
It was loaded with gold fish, raisins, ring pops, and smarties.

Here are just a few action shots from the party.










A huge, gigantic THANK YOU to my family for helping with this party. I know I am several months late posting this, but after going through these pictures I am remembering how hectic it was before the party started.

My fabulous helpers:
Janna and Rachel VanHoozer
Nana and Papa Calaway
The "grill" guys
And my beautiful mother that made the banner, labels, treasure maps and much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment