Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baby food pt. 2

Growing baby girls calls for a growing variety of flavors to introduce!

I'm loving this stage the girls are in. New foods, new flavors, and new textures!!! Before we get into what I'm making these days, I have a few pictures from first snacks and finger foods. Unfortunately, the Gerber teething biscuits we gave Hunter at this age are no longer available. They make them, but for toddlers. So, we tried Baby Mum Mum's! Big hit, but super messy and a pain to clean up. But as desperate as I am for ways to occupy my children I don't mind the extra time it takes to clean up. Next we introduced the graduate puffs and yogurt melts. Mainly to work on hand-eye coordination and using their fingers. And with our "vacation" in Oklahoma, the girls are trying cheerio's and graham crackers thanks to their Mimi.

Now, on to a GRAHAM CRACKER!


Alright, let's get cooking... steaming... And pureeing.

About once a week is when I do a major baby food "cook off". Instead of spending a ton of money on the cute baby food storage containers, I use the Glad 1/2 cups. They're a perfect "feeding" size! Bigger storage containers hold what I'll freeze for future use, since you should feed your refrigerated foods within 5-7 days.

What we've tried so far...
Banana (both allergic)
Apple (Emma allergic)
Sweet potato
Carrots
Green beans
Peas
Mango
Pears
Brocolli* NEW
Acron Squash
Butternut Squash* NEW
Organic Yogurt* NEW (Emma possibly allergic)
Tofu*** NEW for everyone!

I have never in my life seen or tasted tofu, well at least I don't think I have, but it was nothing that I expected. I guess I was under the impression it was "meat-like" and that's not so true. It's more "solid block of cottage cheese-like". I went with the "firm" organic kind for the first time and then just looked at my go to baby food website when I don't have my Williams-Sonama cookbook near by. Here's the link! It can explain any and all foods to make for your baby, but it had awesome ideas for tofu. So far it is a hit!



Helpful reminder: cover in water when storing, change water every day to two days, and keep no longer than seven day!!


1 comment: